Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

On haircuts, sweatpants, and being me.

Big news people!!! As many of you may have seen on Facebook, I did it, I cut my hair!!! And I actually like it, like a lot. It's weird because it's very...me. I look in the mirror and it just looks normal, like my hair has always been this short.




Many people have asked me why exactly I decided to cut it. Or they just assume that I cut it because it's summer and it's hot outside. I usually just tell them that I figured...why not? That's part of it but there's a 'deeper' reason to it. For much of my life I have struggled with the 'not good enough' problem. I have always been very self-conscious about how I look and what I do; always afraid that I wasn't enough: smart enough, pretty enough, spiritual enough, fit enough, etc. Short hair was one of those things that I felt I would never be able to pull off. I thought to myself 'surely, I'm not pretty enough/whatever enough to be able to make that look good'. The same thought was applied to other things, such as sweatpants. I was sure that I didn't have the right body/fit enough body to ever look good in sweatpants. Yes, this is truly what I thought. This year I have really started to embrace myself and love myself just the way I am. A few months ago, I decided that I was going to buy a pair of sweats and I was going to wear them for a whole day, to class and everything. So I marched myself over to the bookstore bought some sweats and wore them the next day. I don't know if I have ever been so uncomfortable wearing something as I did that day wearing those sweats. Every ten minutes I thought 'oh my gosh. I'm wearing sweatpants...ahhhhhh'. All day long that thought went through my mind. But I had a point to prove to myself. I had to show myself that I indeed  looked fine in sweatpants. That I was enough. And I did it.

It was the same deal with the hair. I had thought about it but then I was just like 'girl, forget it. you could never pull it off.' My hair had always been a kind of security blanket for me. If nothing else, I usually liked my hair. It was comfortable and safe. But the more I thought about cutting it, the more I wanted to do it, but that fear kept creeping in. You're not pretty enough, it wouldn't look good. Then I decided that it didn't matter. It didn't matter that guys don't like short hair cuts. It didn't matter if it didn't look the best on me. I was going to do it and that was that. I made my appointment at the salon and I was committed. I did it and I love it.

I feel like I'm in a much better spot in life, now that I've really started to love myself for who I am and not comparing myself to others. This year I've really learned to be grateful for my body. For the fact that it works, that I can do the things that I enjoy. That I am able. Do I weigh 5 or 10 pounds more than I would like? sure. Does it affect my worth or value? absolutely not. My body is far from perfect, but I have one and it works.

To leave you with some food for thought:


So do something that scares you, be brave, have courage. 
You are beautiful. You are enough.

6 comments:

  1. Hi cute Emma :) I hope you don't mind me reading your blog; I miss the people from my mission and love hearing what's going on in your life! I just really loved this post. I had a similar experience with chopping my hair off a couple weeks ago...it's funny how much a person's hair can become a part of their identity! Anyway, I did it for very similar reasons and it felt fabulous. And you're right... you are TOTALLY enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I don't mind, I'm glad that you read it :) Sometimes I feel silly because I just feel like I'm writing to myself, so it's nice to know. And I love your haircut, it's so cute!

      Delete
  2. Uh, how come I fail at life? You cut your hair like two weeks ago and I COMPLETELY missed it on facebook. Maybe I'll just say it's a facebook fail and go on being happy with myself. :) At any rate, your hair looks great! and I really love this post. I'm glad you are loving yourself. It's a great lesson to learn in life and I wish I had learned it when I was your age. It took me a bit longer, but it really is so great. God loves us no matter what and WE ARE ENOUGH. Love you! I'm going to miss you in the fall!!! Stuck all alone with Richard. Heaven help me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...that just means you're doing more important things with your than just hanging out on facebook ;) Thanks! Love you too! And I will definitely miss you too. Sorry about leaving you with Richard, but I'll be back soon enough :)

      Delete
  3. You are amazing, Emma. :) I love you for who you are and love to read of you coming to love yourself. You are beautiful inside and out, strong, intelligent and I have always thought that you are an amazing woman. I don't know that I ever would have guessed that you didn't realize all of that and I hope that you do come to realize it because you deserve to see the beautiful daughter of Heavenly Father that you are. You're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww...thanks Mandy! You are quite lovely yourself and I am so glad that we're friends :)

      Delete