Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

the space between the tears we cry is the laughter that keeps us coming back for more





Life seems to always run away from me. It's been a while and I have a lot to report. So... going all the way back to the Sunday before last Sunday (I know...it's an awful long time ago). First of all, it was my older brother, Matthew's birthday and he turned 21, which is so crazy! He cannot possibly already be that old. But this just means that him coming home is coming up soon!!! He gets home November 23rd of THIS YEAR and  (a.k.a. two months from yesterday!!!) I am unbelievably excited! Christmas is going to be pretty much the best Christmas ever. True story. This is a picture of him from this past week:

{Matthew and Hemma, a woman he baptized }

Sunday evening Elder Oaks came and spoke at the CES Fireside. He spoke about truth and tolerance, which I found to be an interesting choice. His talk was very helpful in clarifying the difference between being tolerant and compromising our values. On Tuesday Elder Anderson came and spoke at devotional. Honesty was the topic of his talk and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He said that as we work at becoming more perfectly honest that it will be so much easier to have and feel the presence of the Spirit. I also had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday and got my blood drawn for the first time and, to be perfectly honest, it really wasn't that bad. And coming from me...that's saying something.

On Thursday I got to see most of my Hinckley 3200 girls!!! We got together for our "3200 Third Thursday" and I was fantastic. I didn't really realize how much I missed them all until we were back together. When I'm with them, it's like...home. All is right in the world (at least for a little while :P). It's different than anything else.

{ :) }

Viernes pasó tiempo con mi amiga Codie y hablabamos español toda la noche y cocinamos cena. Then after I went over to Brianna and Alissa's apartment with Kelli and Magin and we watched 27 Dresses together and talked and ate ice cream. Pretty much the best thing ever. 




Last weekend I had two dates. That's right TWO, in the same weekend! I know...whoa. Not a super common occurrence for me (I mean, going on dates at all). On Saturday my date and I went to go see the Tanglewood Marionettes at the HFAC. They did the story of Perseus and Medusa and it was fairly entertaining. On Sunday mi amiga, Melody, and I had a double with two other RAs. We made some delicious Brazilian food together and then ate dinner together and just talked and whatnot. It was fantastic! We made feijoada and Brazilian rice and pao de queijo and it was SO good!



{feijoada (a kind of black bean stew) on Brazilian rice and  pao de queijo (Brazilian cheese bread)}
[yes, we are poor college students and used paper plates and plastic ware, as well as paper towels for place mats] 

{it was so yummy}
[we were rather proud of our mad cooking skills (and a bit surprised :P)]

Sunday was just a fantastic day in general. The talks in Sacrament meeting were about the Holy Ghost. About being able to recognize the promptings of the Spirit and then listen to and act upon them. And all the talks were so good! Then in Relief Society the RS presidency split the lesson and took turns sharing their thoughts. I really loved the lesson given by my RS president. She talked about the Atonement of Christ, but instead of focusing on the redeeming quality of it, she focused on the often overlooked enabling quality of the Atonement. That through Christ we can receive the strength and courage to accomplish all that is required of us. We don't have to do everything by ourselves, He will help us, we need only ask. Here's a quote that pretty much sums it up:


     There is no physical pain, no anguish of soul, no suffering of spirit, no infirmity or weakness that you or I ever experience during our mortal journey that the Savior did not experience first. You and I in a moment of weakness may cry out, "No one understands. No one knows." No human being, perhaps, knows. But the Son of God perfectly knows and understands, for He felt and bore our burdens before we ever did. And because He paid the ultimate price and bore that burden, He has perfect empathy and can extend to us His arm of mercy in so many phases of our life. He can reach out, touch, and succor--literally run to us--and strengthen us to be more than we could ever be and help us to do that which we could never do through relying only upon our own power.

           ~Elder David A. Bednar, "In the Strength of the Lord"



I know that this is definitely one lesson that I have learned in the past year. There are sometimes that I'm not really sure how I managed, but then I remember that those are the times that I most earnestly sought the help of the Lord and that He most abundantly blessed me. There are sometimes when I know that that's all that gets me through and it is more than enough.

This past week has been a little on the crazy side. I had two tests, a project, and a paper due...whew.  Monday was the birthday de mi hermanito. He turned 17 and it just blows my mind. On Thursday I went to the farmer's market (which I am practically in love with) and then went to go see the beautiful Terra in the Choral Showcase (she's in Women's chorus and it was way good :). Yesterday I went to the only BYU football game that I'll make it to this year and we won! Thank goodness it wasn't as tragic as the Utah game :P Then we had the safety week dance in Helaman. Needless to say, I sure was ready for a good night's rest.


{me and Melody at the Safety Week dance :)}

This week has actually been kind of a struggle, but it's the kind of weeks like these that really help me remember and appreciate the great gift that Christ has given us. The gift of the Atonement. It could have been a lot worse, but He was there by my side and gave me the courage and strength to keep pressing forward.

note to self: do not buy candy and then proceed to eat it, you will just beat yourself up later nixing any enjoyment that you may have gotten from eating it in the first place. oh, and it's really bad for you and full of stuff that you probably, really, don't want to eat anyway. bummer


Well, I need to go do all the homework that I have neglected to do thus far this weekend. thanks for reading and good luck in all your endeavors this week :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment